We hook up the Avermedia Live Gamer Extreme with a Canon 80D, to see how well it works for live streaming and recording.
Here’s a little the background. Ever since we started our live streaming sessions on Facebook and YouTube, we’ve been using a webcam and on occasion the iPhone.
These devices were convenient and hassle-free. However, the video quality was at times disappointing, and there were very limited options on what you can add/edit on the live video stream. For example, we couldn’t add our own graphics, logos or adjust the video feed itself. Other disadvantages include the fact that when you stream from an iPhone, it means you have to extract the footage off from the phone later. Streaming from a webcam isn’t any better… low quality footage and limited positioning (most webcams are clamped on the monitor), ultimately makes your streaming experiences less enjoyable.
So what’s the solution?
Well, after doing a bit of investigation, I found that the best solution was to get myself a capture card. There are a few products available in the market. Some are add-on cards that features the PCI-E interface and fits inside your PC. While others are external units that use your standard USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 connections (the latter being the faster of course).
To makes more interesting, we wanted an external capture device, which will allow us to use it on a laptop or any PC. In the end, we chose the Avermedia Live Gamer Extreme.
The Avermedia Live Gamer Extreme is an ultra-low latency USB 3.0 external capture box that can stream and record PC (or console) video gameplay in full HD. Basically it can turn your PC into a recording studio for gaming or live broadcasts. It features audio Mix-in, HDMI pass-through, supports PIP and live editing, and the ability to capture full HD 1080p @ 60 frames per second.
Now you see why having a capture device has its benefits. I don’t think your regular webcam or iPhone can do any of the above. Find out what users have said about the Avermedia Live Gamer Extreme.
Ultra Low Latency: With the USB 3.0 output port and HDMI pass- through, you have the freedom to enjoy smooth gameplay in 1080p 60 fps on your PC.
Spice Up Your Channel: There are two front-facing audio mixing ports (Aux and Mic) conveniently within reach. Mix in commentary, party chat, or your original music over in-game audio.
Your Stream. Your Style: The top lid opens up unlimited number of possibilities. Design and print covers matching your unique styles with our free Cover Creator software.
RECentral 3—Stream in Perfection: The powerful and stylish RECentral has been further enhanced with multiple Pro features. Your stream will never look the same again.
- Interface: USB 3.0*
- Power Requirement: USB bus-power
- Video Input: HDMI, Component**
- Audio Input: HDMI, RCA L/R
- Audio Mixing: 3.5 mm Mic In, 3.5 mm Aux In
- Video Output: HDMI pass-through
- Maximum Capture Resolution: Uncompressed 1080p60 (60 Mbps)
- Supported Resolution: 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 576p, 576i, 480p, 480i
- Encoding Format: MP4 (codec: H.264 and AAC)
- Bundled Software: RECentral 2, Cover Creator
- Compatible Software: DirectShow compliant software such as XSplit or OBS
- Dimensions (W x D x H): 145.3 x 97.2 x 29 mm
- Weight: 182 g
* LGX does not support USB 2.0
** LGX does not support viewing/recording/streaming of HDCP protected signals
- Windows® 10 / Windows 8.1 / Windows 7
- Desktop: Intel® Core™ i5-4440 3.10 GHz + NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
- Laptop: Intel® Core™ i7-4810MQ + NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M
- 4 GB RAM (8 GB recommended)
- Powered USB 3.0 port with recommended chipset including Intel, Fresco, ASMedia (Windows 10/8.1 only), Renesas (Windows 10/8.1 only)***
*** Check FAQ for more details
In the Box
- Live Gamer EXTREME
- USB 3.0 cable
- HDMI cable
- Component cable
- PS3 cable
- 3.5 mm audio cable
- Exclusive cover
- Backup screw
- Quick guide
- Info packet