Wow what a year it’s been so far in 2020. Amid all this crazy and unfortunate situation with the Coronavirus, it hasn’t dampen our focus but in fact, quite the opposite. Once again it’s time for our Funky Kit Team to get a little busy, and this time we’re going to build our very cute mini PC and we’ve called it … Project AMD3D Mini.
I’ve always wanted to build a compact, mini-ITX system that’s unique and can stand out from the crowd. And over the past few years, I’ve searched and searched, but just couldn’t find the right type of chassis until now.
The chassis we’ll be using doesn’t have a name as such … but it was referred to as a “A4 Mini-ITX Open Chassis” and I managed to get it online via Aliexpress. It wasn’t cheap though … costing between USD $175-199.
Now that I’ve found the chassis I was looking for, we need the rest of the components.
OK… so here’s the thing. I have to make a confession here. Initially for this project, I was going to use an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X processor, along with a X570 motherboard (mini-ITX), hence the name of the project … AMD3D Mini. Unfortunately, due to cabling issues (moddiy.com) which actually KILLED my motherboard, I had to switch to an Intel Core i7 8700K processor and a Z390 mini-ITX motherboard. Needless to say I was NOT happy!
Anyway, we kept the name of the project the same, because we wanted to give it to our sister site AMD3D.com as a gift for their site launch. Head over there for all things AMD related 😉
As you’ve already noticed, this system build will be based on a white theme, and we’ve purposely spray-painted the chassis white as well as the PSU cover. We’ve also got an Enermax AQUAFUSION White 120 RGB AIO Cooler, Patriot’s Viper RGB in white, and some white sleeved PSU cables. It’s going to look great (hopefully) … now let’s go and build our project!
I would like to say a big thanks to all our sponsors and our very own Team Funky Kit. Here are some of the components we used, all of which can be purchased via the Amazon links …
- CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K
- Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390I Gaming Edge AC (review)
- GPU: ZOTAC Gaming GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER (review)
- RAM: Patriot Viper Gaming RGB DDR4-3000 16GB Memory Kit (review)
- SSD: ADATA XPG Spectrix S40G RGB SSD M.2 PCI-E Gen3x4 512GB (review)
- Cooler: Enermax AQUAFUSION White 120 RGB AIO Cooler (review)
- PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 ARGB 850W – 80Plus Gold PSU
- Chassis: Custom A4 Open Air Mini-ITX chassis with custom paint job
In our next few pages will include a product introduction of all the components used, with photos and links to the our reviews (if any).
- MSI MPG Z390I Gaming Edge AC Motherboard Review
- ADATA XPG Spectrix S40G RGB M.2 PCI-E Gen3x4 512GB SSD Review
- Enermax AQUAFUSION WHITE 120 AIO Liquid Cooler Review
- Patriot Viper RGB DDR4-3000 16GB Memory Kit Review
- ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER AMP Graphics Card Review
- Project Phantom Gaming X – Full Build Log & Video
- Project Battle Angel Alita – Full Build Log, Video & Benchmarks
- Project Beast Ripper – By Funky Kit