NVIDIA today released the GeForce 387.92 Game Ready Graphics Drivers, which presents a more comprehensive package than most Game Ready drivers. This time, the changes aren’t mostly limited to new, upcoming games support, though that’s still part of the package. On that front, you can count on these drivers being optimized for the upcoming Middle-earth: Shadow of War and The Evil Within 2, as well as Forza Motorsport 7, on which NVIDIA expects anywhere between 15% and 25% performance improvement (which should help improve NVIDIA’s situation). On the VR space, this driver package brings the optimal experience for 4A Games’ Artika.1 (if you recognize the studios’ name, it’s probably because they’re the ones behind the Metro game series.
Also interesting, however, are the feature updates that come with this driver package. Fast Sync is now supported for SLI configurations, though Maxwell architecture users should steer clear of 4K resolution, which isn’t supported for this feature. There’s also NVIDIA GameStream support for HDR under Windows 10. On the renderer side, we see added support for OpenGL 4.6, as well as for DirectX Intermediate Language (DXIL). This includes full support for DirectX 12 Shader Model 6.0 ( for features such as Wavemath), and the DirectX Shader Compiler, though it’s only supported on NVIDIA Kepler and later GPUs. There are also some improvements to full-screen Vulkan applications, though this particular change may cause more errors while leaving and entering full-screen mode (Alt-Tab). Grab the drivers from the link below right here on TPU, and find the change-log after the break.
DOWNLOAD: NVIDIA GeForce 387.92 Game Ready Drivers
- Added support for OpenGL 4.6
- Added NVIDIA GameStream support for HDR under Windows 10
- See “Open Issues” for a description of bug 200349552 that affects this feature.
- Added Fast Sync support for SLI
- Fast Sync under SLI is available only on the following ‘bridged’ SLI configurations:
- NVIDIA Maxwell GPUs: Any resolution less than 4k
- NVIDIA Pascal & later GPUs: Any resolution
- Implemented improvement in full-screen Vulkan applications for 32-bit Windows swapchains.
- This optimization will cause more events that trigger an out-of-date swapchain, such as when entering or leaving full-screen mode (typically by pressing Alt+tab). Applications that do not properly respond to the VK_ERROR_OUT_OF_DATE_KHR return code may not function properly when these events occur. See the WSI Swapchain section of the Vulkan specification.
- Added support for the DirectX Intermediate Language (DXIL)
- Includes full support for DirectX 12 Shader Model 6.0, features such as Wavemath, and the DirectX Shader Compiler.
- Supported only on NVIDIA Kepler and later GPUs.
Application SLI Profiles
Added or updated the following SLI profiles:
- Middle-Earth: Shadow of War
- Nex Machina
- Snake Pass
- Tekken 7
- The Evil Within 2
- We Happy Few
3D Vision Profiles
Added or updated the following 3D Vision profiles:
- Middle-Earth: Shadow of War – Not recommended
3D Compatibility Mode Profiles 2DD
These games must be run in DirectX 10/11 mode to see improvements and are not compatible with 3D Vision Surround mode. Added or updated the following compatibility mode profiles:
- Nex Machina – Excellent
- Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice – Excellent
- ARK: Survival Evolved – Excellent
- F1 2017 – Excellent
Changes and Fixed Issues
- [SLI][Intel X299]: Low GPU usage resulting in poor performance occurs with the X299. 
- [YouTube]: With Fast Sync enabled, twitching occurs in full-screen YouTube videos while moving the mouse cursor. 
- [Discord]: Share FPS overlay appears in the application. 
- [HTC Vive]: VR view may jump at random times. 
- [NVIDIA Control Panel]: Custom resolutions are not preserved after updating the driver.  Win10
- [NVIDIA Control Panel][ASUS 4k display]: “Use NVIDIA Color Setting” is not preserved after updating or rolling back the driver. 
- Lines flash across the screen momentarily while booting into Windows. 
Windows 10 Issues
- [SLI][GeForce GTX 780 Ti]: There is no display output when connecting the DisplayPort and two DVI monitors. 
- [GeForce GTX 1070][Adobe Reader 3D]: There is corruption in the PDF. 
- [GeForce TITAN (Kepler-based)]: The OS fails after installing the graphics card on a Threadripper-enabled motherboard. 
- [Photoshop CC 2017]: “Photoshop has encountered a problem with the display driver…” error message appears when selecting Path Blur after first launch of the application. 
- [Notebook][MS Hybrid][HDR]: On Hybrid systems where the discrete GPU drives the primary display, there is momentary corruption before a streaming game goes into full-screen mode. 
- [Notebook][GeForce GTX 1080][G-Sync]: Stuttering occurs while playing games such as Doom, CS Go, and Witcher 3 on the external display. 
- [Notebook][GeForce GTX 1080]: Stuttering occurs when playing a game on the external display. 
Windows 7 Issues
- [Photoshop CC 2017]: “Photoshop has encountered a problem with the display driver…” error message appears when selecting Path Blur after first launch of the application.