Curved monitors are all the rage these days. Like them or hate them … these curved monitors will be around for quite some time!
So what makes curved monitors so special? Well, a curved screen has a more natural shape to our round eyes’ peripheral vision, which apparently makes it more comfortable for our eyes, This means curved monitors and TVs should give you a more immersive experience, filling more of our field of vision.
Today, we will be taking a quick look at the MSI Optix MAG241C Curved Gaming Monitor. This monitor has a curved 1500R screen (VA panel) and offers a fast refresh rate of 144Hz, 1ms response time, a wide 178° viewing angle with a full HD resolution of 1920×1080. It also comes with an OSD menu which you can control via a small joystick located at the rear of the monitor, or via MSI’s app.
I want to see how this monitor looks and feels when running at 144Hz, but before that … let’s take a look at the overview, features and specifications.
Visualize your victory with the MSI Optix MAG241C curved gaming monitor. Equipped with a 1920×1080, 144hz Refresh rate, 1ms response time panel, the Optix MAG241C will give you the competitive edge you need to take down your opponents. Built with FreeSync technology, the MAG241C can match the display’s refresh rate with your GPU for ultra-smooth gameplay. Make sure you can hit your mark with all the latest technologies built-in the MSI Curved Gaming monitors for competitive play.
MSI gaming monitors use a curved display panel that has a curvature rate of 1500R, which is the most comfortable and suitable for a wide range of applications from general computing to gaming. Curved panels also help with gameplay immersion, making you feel more connected to the entire experience.
MSI gaming monitors are equipped with a 144hz refresh rate + 1ms response time VA LED panel which has the most benefit in fast moving game genres such as first person shooters, fighters, racing sims, real-time strategy, and sports. These type of games require very fast and precise movements, which an ultra-high refresh rate and fast response time monitor will put you ahead of your competition.
With the Gaming OSD (on screen display) app it is very easy to setup your gaming monitor. You don’t need use the buttons on the monitor and go through all the menu’s, just use your Keyboard and Mouse to configurate your monitor. The app even gives you hotkey options so you can switch settings between different games in a ease.
For more information, please MSI’s website.
- Curved Gaming display (1500R) – The best gameplay immersion.
- FHD High Resolution – Game titles will even look better, displaying more details due to the FHD resolution.
- 144Hz Refresh Rate – Real smooth gaming.
- 1ms response time – eliminate screen tearing and choppy frame rates.
- Gaming OSD App – Create the ultimate viewing settings for your game.
- True colors – DCI-P3 90% & sRGB 115%.
- AMD FreeSync – prevent screen tearing.
- Anti-Flicker and Less Blue Light – game even longer and prevent eye strain and fatique.
- Frameless design – Ultimate gameplay experience.
- 178° wide view angle.
The Monitor Itself
The monitor has a surprisingly small footprint. The included metal monitor stand is solid and robust. You can adjust the monitor screen up and down, but unfortunately it does not swivel left/right.
A Closer Look
The joystick for the OSD is located at the rear of the monitor. As for connectivitity … there’s 1 x DisplayPort, 2 x HDMI, 2 x USB ports and 1 x USB pass through.
- Page 1 – Gaming. This page allows you to select various options for gaming. These include Game modes, response tome, anti motion blur, refresh rate and more.
- Page 2 – Professional. This page allows you to select Pro Mode for Reader, Cinema or Designer.
- Page 3 – Image. On this page, you can select various options including Brightness, Contrast, Sharpness, Color temps and Screen size.
- Page 4 – Input Source. You can select between HDMI 1, HDMI 2 and DisplayPort.
- Page 5 – Navi Key. Controls and sets your joystick
- Page 6 – Setting. This page allows you to change language, transparency, OSD timeout and reset.
Verdict and Conclusion
I have to say, I was never a fan of curved monitors until now. In the past, I always thought that curved monitors was just a gimmick and a complete waste of time … that’s until I met the MSI Optix MAG241C, a curved monitor that’s designed for gaming.
The curved screen does offer a more immersive gaming experience. If fact, while you’re gaming you don’t even notice the curve at all. I got super smooth gameplay with no screen tearing or stuttering, and very little motion blurring. All-in-all, I’m extremely impressed.
The monitor also offer a lot of features for the price. Such as the support for AMD FreeSync, a flicker free refresh rate of 144Hz and a super fast response rate of 1ms. All of this, makes the MSI Optix MAG241C a great curved monitor for gaming.
To enable 144Hz on the monitor, just make sure you have the latest graphics drivers, and the 144Hz setting is enabled via the driver’s config page. To test your monitor’s refresh rate, go here … https://www.testufo.com/refreshrate
- AMD FreeSync
- 1500R curved monitor with wide 178° viewing angle
- Full HD 1920×1080 resolution
- 144Hz refresh rate
- Fast 1ms response time
- OSD joystick control
- Brightness: 300nits
- Contrast ratio: 3000:1
- Does not swivel left/right
In conclusion, with a price of USD $249 the MSI Optix MAG241C Curved Gaming Monitor is a absolute bargain. Just look at the features you’re getting. If you want a 24″ curved gaming monitor that won’t break your bank, then take a serious look at the MSI Optix MAG241C.
- MSI MPG Z390I Gaming Edge AC Motherboard Review
- MSI GE63 Raider RGB 8SF (with GeForce RTX 2070) Gaming Laptop Review
- MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Gaming X (6GB GDDR5) Graphics Card Review
- MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti ARMOR OC (6GB GDDR6) Graphics Card Review
- MSI GeForce RTX 2060 VENTUS 6G OC Graphics Card Review