In this article, we’ll show you how to overclock the Intel Core i7-8700K (Cofee Lake) from the default speed of 3.7GHz to a whopping 5.0GHz on all 6 cores, by simply changing 3 BIOS options on the Asus ROG Maximus X Hero motherboard. You can check out the review of the Asus ROG Maximus X Hero motherboard here.
The Core i7-8700K is the the top end in the Coffee Lake series of Intel’s 8th Gen Core processors. According to Intel, these new 8th Gen Core processors can deliver a 25% boost in frame rates over previous 6th/7th Gen processors. What’s more it’s Intel’s first-ever 6-core processor for desktops and gaming.
- Compatible only with Motherboards based on Intel 300 Series Chipsets
- 6 Cores/12 Threads
- 3.70 GHz up to 4.70 GHz Max Turbo Frequency/12 MB Cache
- Intel Optane Memory Supported
- Intel UHD Graphics 630
According to Intel’s specifications, the Core i7-8700K has a TDP of 95W, which means it can run quite hot if you don’t have sufficient cooling. We highly recommend using a good all-in-one liquid cooler (AIO). See our test rig below. In this example, we used a Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 240 AIO.
Before we start, here’s a quick disclaimer:
Disclaimer: Overclocking is never guaranteed, so the results may vary depending on certain conditions and various hardware configurations. I am not recommending overclocking if you do not know what are you doing. High voltages may damage hardware and it will not be covered by warranty.
The BIOS settings
After some tweaking in the BIOS, I was able to overclock the Core i7-8700K from a default of 3.7GHz to a whopping 5.0Ghz. That’s an extra 1.3GHz overclock … excellent!
Here’s a screenshot of the BIOS settings to achieve my overclock in 3 simple steps.
- Set the AI Overclock Tuner to “Manual”
- Set the CPU core Ratio Limit to 50
3. Increase CPU core/cache Voltage to 1.35V
Everything else was left at default or Auto. Save settings and reboot.
Now that we’ve managed to overclock the Core i7-8700K to 5.0GHz, let’s check out the full load temperatures on our next page …
- Overclocking the Core i7-8700K (Coffee Lake) to 5.0GHz (page 2)
- Asus ROG Maximus X Hero Motherboard Review
- Buy the Asus ROG Maximus X Hero motherboard from Amazon
- Buy the Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 240 AIO from Amazon
- Buy the Intel Core i7-8700K (Coffee Lake) processor from Amazon or Newegg