Pioneer today unveiled its new internal BD/DVD/CD writer, the BDR-211UBK. The new model supports Ultra HD Blu-ray1 playback using bundled CyberLink PowerDVD14 software. The market for 4K resolution is expected to expand significantly as demand increases for definition higher than full HD. The BDR-211UBK meets that need, enabling PC users to enjoy 4K content via a PC, as well as providing up to 16x² maximum BD-R writing speed (BD-R: SL 25GB) and the ability to read and write a variety of BD (SL 25GB/DL 50GB) and BDXL (BD-R XL: TL 100GB/ QL 128GB, BD-RE XL: TL 100GB) discs.
- Ultra HD Blu-ray playback – the BDR-211UBK supports Ultra HD Blu-ray playback using the bundled CyberLink software. Ultra HD Blu-ray includes content up to 4K resolution (3840 pixels horizontal×2160pixels vertical) and a wider range of colors compared to full HD.
- Faster burning – Up to 16x² maximum write speed on BD-R single-layer discs, 14x on BD-R DL discs and 8x on BD-R triple-layer discs.
- Compatible with Windows 10 – The BDR-211UBK and bundled software are compatible with the latest Windows OS, Windows 10.
- Region Code Change – BDR-211UBK has DVD regional playback control. It allows users to set the region of the drive up to five times.
- Store more data – Support for BDXL media, which stores up to 156% more data than 50GB Dual Layer Blu-ray Disc, including 100GB Triple Layer (TL)³ and 128GB Quadruple Layer (QL)³ discs.
- QuickPlay – BD-ROM and DVD-ROM discs are ready quickly after insertion.
- PowerRead – Through its PowerRead feature, the BDR-211UBK provides smoother movie playback when a disc is marked with fingerprints or has minor surface scratches. When the drive is not able to read through these obstructed areas of a disc, it will quickly move forward to the next available data point, resulting in smoother Blu-ray and DVD movie playback.4
- Auto Quiet Mode – The drive monitors how it is being used and will adjust its disc rotation speed automatically, using a quieter mode (slower speed) when watching Blu-ray and DVD titles or listening to conventional audio CDs.
- PureRead3 – Clicking or popping sounds that might normally occur due to minor scratches and fingerprints on CDs can be prevented on some discs with the drive’s PureRead3 technology, which allows the drive to adjust its optical playback settings dynamically through the use of a unique algorithm.5
- Peak power Reducer – This power saving mode enables the drive to suppress power consumption at peak operation. It keeps stable operation in case of a drop in power supply.
The Pioneer BDR-211UBK will be available in late March with a suggested retail price of $129.99.