FUJIFILM Corporation has announced that it will launch the FUJIFILM X-A3 (hereinafter “X-A3”) in September 2016. The X-A3 has been perfectly designed to take “self portraits” with a compact and lightweight body. It joins the X Series of mirrorless cameras that offer outstanding image quality with the company’s proprietary color reproduction technology. To enable easy self-portraits, the X-A3 features an LCD screen that tilts 180 degrees without being blocked by the camera, thus helping to maintain 100% visibility. Other features such as Eye Detection AF are designed to improve self-portraits shooting even further, and the new Portrait Enhancer mode includes the option to brighten the skin-tone.
(1) Combining a newly-developed sensor and color-reproduction technology that has been refined over 80 years to deliver premium-quality portraiture
The X-A3 combines a newly-developed 24.2 megapixel APS-C sensor with the image processing engine to achieve Fujifilm’s excellent photo quality. Combination with the supplied FUJINON lens which boasts ultimate image resolution delivers outstanding image quality with subject’s texture, form and even the atmosphere of the scene. The camera excels particularly in reproducing skin tones, making it the best choice for capturing people, which account for around 40% of all subjects in photography*. The Film Simulation function offers 11 modes, including newly-added “PRO Neg.Hi” and “PRO Neg.Std.”
(2) 180-degree slide-and-tilt LCD with 100% visibility for facilitating “self portraits”
Even when tilted by 180 degrees, the LCD is not blocked by the camera, allowing 100% visibility. The grip is shaped to accommodate normal shooting and self-portraits. When taking self portraits, focusing and releasing of the shutter can be done by pressing the vertical command dial which locates directly below your index finger, which minimizes camera shake. Rotating the tilting LCD upward by 180 degrees activates the Eye Detection AF to automatically adjust the focus on the subject’s eyes. The Portrait Enhancer mode offers three-step adjustments with the new “skin-tone brightening” function to enjoy self portraits of premium quality which is possible only with the X Series of cameras.
(3) Use of the retro design with compact and lightweight body, enhanced texture and touchscreen LCD
The X-A3 adopts a retro design with compact and lightweight body that is appealing to the younger female generation. The retro feel gives a “fresh” and “fashionable” impression. The top cover, front plate and top dials are made of aluminum. The newly-developed faux leather has significantly enhanced the overall texture. The camera is available in silver, brown or pink. The LCD on the rear uses a touchscreen to enable “Touch AF,” “Touch Shoot” and “Touch Zoom” with pinch-out finger gesture to use a prime lens as if it is a zoom lens.
(4) Following features from the FUJIFILM X-A2 that won high reputation
The camera can shoot approx. 410 frames per charge, and, when fitted with the supplied lens “XC16-50mmF3.5-5.6 OIS II,” it can focus on a subject at a distance of approx. 7cm from the front edge of the lens for leading macro capability in its class.
(1) Outstanding image quality, made possible by the newly-developed 24.2 megapixel image sensor
- Fujifilm’s color reproduction technology, nurtured through the development of photographic film, reproduces accurate, warm skin tones, clear blue skies and lush green foliage in tones as you remember them in your mind.
- The X-A3 offers a total of eleven Film Simulation modes. Enjoy Fujifilm’s original expressions of tonality, such as the true-to-life colors of PROVIA (standard), the vibrant tones and saturated colors of Velvia (vivid), the soft tones of ASTIA (soft) or the documentary-style tones of CLASSIC CHROME. Monochrome and Sepia modes are also available.
- The APS-C sensor delivers beautifully smooth bokeh effects for portraiture and macro shots when using a shallow depth of field.
- The normal sensitivity range covers ISO200 to ISO6400, while extended sensitivity settings of ISO12800 and even ISO25600 can be selected to minimize camera shake. The X-A3 produces clear images with astonishingly low noise, even on low-light nightscapes and indoor shots where high ISOs are essential.
- The Advanced Filters help you easily produce creative effects. A total of ten Advanced Filters are available, including the new “Fisheye” and “Cross Screen” as well as Toy Camera, Miniature, Dynamic Tone, Pop Color, Soft Focus, High Key, Low Key and Partial Color.
(2) Five mechanisms for facilitating “self portraits”
- The rear LCD employs the slide-and-tilt mechanism so that it is not blocked by the camera body when tilted by 180 degrees to maintain 100% visibility. You can view the entire screen for precise composition.
- The grip is shaped to accommodate normal shooting and self-portraits alike. The final shape, based on ergonomic design, was decided through prototype testing involving hundreds of young female photographers.
- When taking self portraits, focusing and releasing of the shutter can be done by pressing the vertical command dial which locates directly below your index finger, so as to minimize camera shake.
The Self Timer function newly offers Smile Detection, Buddy Timer and Group Timer modes. Even without having to press the command dial or release button, the shutter is released when subjects smile, when two people come close together, or when a specified number of people comes into the frame.
- Rotating the tilting LCD upward by 180 degrees activates the Eye Detection AF to automatically adjust the focus on the subject’s eyes.
- The Portrait Enhancer mode now offers three-step adjustments, using touchscreen operations. The addition of the skin-tone brightening function takes your portrait photography to a new level.
(3) Retro design with compact and lightweight body, and sophisticated functionality
- The X-A3 adopts a retro design with compact and lightweight body that is appealing to the younger generation. The retro feel gives a “fresh” and “fashionable” impression.
- The top cover, front plate and top dials are made of aluminum. The newly-developed faux leather has significantly enhanced the overall texture
- The use of two Command Dials means you only need a thumb to quickly adjust aperture, shutter speed and exposure settings. Frequently used functions such as white balance, continuous shooting and the self-timer can be assigned to standalone function buttons, eliminating the need to go through the Menu screen each time you need to change settings.
- The LCD on the rear uses a touchscreen to enable “Touch AF,” “Touch Shoot” and “Touch Zoom” with pinch-out finger gesture to use a prime lens as if it is a zoom lens.
(4) Extended battery life of approx. 410 frames per charge
- The energy-efficient design has extended the battery life to a class-leading level, allowing you to concentrate on shooting pictures without having to worry about remaining battery power.
- The supplied USB cable charges the camera from the AC adapter and computer.
(5) Class-leading minimum working distance (approx. 7cm from the front edge of the lens) and Super Intelligent Flash
When fitted with the standard lens “XC16-50mmF3.5-5.6 OIS II,” the X-A3 can approach a subject up to the class-leading distance of approx. 7cm from the front edge of the lens to enable macro photography.
The built-in pop-up flash supports the Super Intelligent Flash system that accurately controls light output according to the scenes. When shooting indoor portraits in low-light, small items or food, the flash system reduces highlight clipping to produce images exactly as your eyes see them. Natural colors and brightness are also achieved when shooting backlit scenes or photographing a person under intense sunlight that casts strong shadows on the face.
(6) Full HD video recording
Press the dedicated Video Recording button on the rear to easily start recording full HD (1080/60p, 50p, 24p) video.
The Film Simulation function, popularly used for still images, can also be applied to video recording for a diverse range of creative effects, which can be combined with smooth bokeh, made possible with the APS-C sensor and fast lens.
Turning on the electronic image stabilization function delivers the five-axis image stabilization that combines optical and electronic stabilization, significantly reducing a variety of camera shakes that could occur during video recording. This function allows you to record high quality video with reduced camera shake while walking around with the camera in your hand.
(7) Enhanced Autofocus settings
The focus switching lever on the front lets you instantly switch between AF-S (single), AF-C (continuous) and MF (manual focus).
- Choose any one of 49-point focus areas for AF in the Single Point mode. The X-A3 has been added with the Zone and Wide / Tracking modes, which use the 77-point focus areas to capture the decisive moment of a moving subject.
- Other new functions include “Release Priority / Focus Priority” and “AF+MF.”
(8) Versatile shooting functions including the electronic shutter with the maximum speed of 1/32000 sec
- When using the ultra-fast electronic shutter, even under clear skies or other bright conditions, you can use large aperture to achieve a shallow depth of field for smooth bokeh without over-exposing the image. You can capture a scene exactly as intended without having to use an ND filter.
- As a result of answering the requests from many users, the X-A3 now features the Panorama and Time Lapse functions.
- Other new functions include the interlocking of Metering and AF areas, support for the Adobe RGB color space, and choice of different colors in Focus Peaking for assisting MF.
(9) Wireless communications functionality to enable remote shooting from smartphones and tablet devices**
- Download the free FUJIFILM Camera Remote app to your smartphone or tablet device and use the Wireless Communications function so that you can transfer photos and videos to your device with a simple one-touch operation without having to enter ID or password. It is also possible to view and select photos and videos in your camera on your smartphone and import them to your smart device. You can even attach location information, obtained by your smart device, to your images.
- The Remote Shoot function lets you focus and trigger the camera release or even adjust exposure and other settings from your smartphone or tablet device. With Remote Shooting, the app not only offers basic operations such as Touch AF and shutter speed adjustment, but also lets you adjust a variety of shooting settings or initiate video recording. It is useful for group photos, self-portraits or even wildlife photography so that you can compose your shot from a distance.
- Images can also be sent directly from the camera to the Instax SHARE smartphone printer for instant printing.
- The camera is Wi-Fi® enabled*** to easily back up in-camera data to your computer*4.
- **Android™ smartphones and tablet devices as well as iPhones and iPads
- ***Wi-Fi® is a registered trademark of Wi-Fi Alliance®.
- *4The free FUJIFILM PC AutoSave software must be installed on your computer in advance.