Today, we’ll be taking a quick look at the j5Create 108W PD USB-C Super Charger. It’s a mains charger capable of delivering a massive 108W of power for laptops via the power delivery port on the USB-C connector. It also includes a USB Type-A port at 2.4A up to 12W, and another USB-C port at 3A up to 20W. These two additional ports allow you to charge multiple devices including mobile phones and tablets.
According to i5Create, the main USB-C charging cable is suitable to power 13-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pros, as well as other high-powered laptops. So to test this charger, we’ll be using the ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 Gaming Laptop, which we reviewed back in 2021 and uses a 76WHrs, 4S1P, 4-cell Li-ion battery. It’s a pretty power hungry laptop featuring a Ryzen 9 5900HS processor and a GeForce RTX 3060.
The laptop has the ability to support power deliver via a USB-C port. It will be interesting to see if the j5Create 108W PD USB-C Super Charger is capable to power my ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14.
You’re probably thinking … if I use the USB-C port (with power delivery support) to power up my laptop, I will be unable to use this USB-C port for external devices. Yes that is true … but one has to remember that the original charger for the ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 is just a charger and does nothing else. While the j5Create charger comes with 2 additional USB ports for charging more devices.
Charge your USB-C® laptop and two additional devices simultaneously with the 108W 3-Port PD USB-C® Super Charger. USB™ Power Delivery 3.0 technology charges your phones, tablets, and laptops at the fastest speeds possible. This charger provides up to 5V/3A, 9V/3A, 12V/3A, 15V/3A, and 20V/5A of power via the USB-C® cable ─ perfect for the 13-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro® and other high-powered laptops. The USB-C® port provides up to 5V/3A, 9V/2.22A and 12V/1.67A of power ─ great for fast charging the new iPhone® 12 to 50% in just 30 minutes. The USB™ Type-A port is equipped with fast charging up to 2.4A. The 108W 3-Port PD USB-C® Super Charger also comes with surge, overcharging, overcurrent, and overheating protection, keeping your devices safe.
- Compatibility: USB-C® enabled devices that support USB™ Power Delivery 2.0 or 3.0
- Provides an enormous 108W of power
- 2 x USB-C® power delivery & 1 x USB™ Type-A Fast Charge
- Charging 3 devices simultaneously with automatic balance output
- USB-C® cable provides up to 100W of power when used independently.
- The USB-C® cable provides up to 76W of power when both the USB™ Type-A and USB-C® ports are in use, and up to 87W when only one of the ports are in use.
- The USB-C® port provides up to 20W of power and the USB™ Type-A port provides up to 12W fast charging.
- Surge, overcharging, overcurrent, and overheating protection to ensure safe charging
- Built-in intelligent IC to automatically identify devices
- Suitable for mobile phones, tablets, consoles, and notebooks
- Provides up to 100W of power to power the latest 16-inch MacBook Pro®.
- Provides sufficient power for high-consuming laptops such as the Dell™ Vostro™ 5471 and HP® Spectre® TPN-Q178.
- Save up to 1 hour of charging time charging time compared to the stock chargers
- iPhone® 12 mini: 1.3 hours
- iPhone® 12 Pro: 1.4 hours
- iPhone® 12 Pro max: 1.5 hours
- MacBook Pro® 13″: 1.5 hours
- MacBook Pro® 15″: 1.5 hours
- MacBook Pro® 16″: 1.5 hours
For more information, please visit j5Create’s website.
Connector: NEMA Power Plug (North America)
Warranty: 2 Year Limited
Max Wattage Output: 100W via USB-C® cable
Power Output Wattage:
Qi Supported: N/A
Qualcomm Quick Charge: N/A
Surge Protection: Yes
Input Current: 1.5A Max
Input Voltage: 100 – 240V
Enclosure Type: ABS Plastic
Operating Humidity: < 85% non-condensing
Operating Temperature: 32 to 86°F (0 to 30°C)
Product Depth:1.3 in. (32.9 mm)
Product Height: 5.42 in. (137.8 mm)
Product Weight: 15 oz (425 g)
Product Width: 2.59 in. (65.7 mm)
Storage Humidity: < 85% non-condensing
Storage Temperature: 14 to 140°F (-10 to 65°C)
Why do I need the j5Create charger?
I recently bought the Aceele Laptop Stand/USB Docking Station (with HDMI and LAN support) for the Zephyrus G14. Everything worked fine, until I realize that I still need to power up the laptop with the original charger. The whole idea was just to use one USB-C cable from the dock (without having the hassle of plugging the original charger everytime).
The j5Create charger solved this problem. I just plug it directly in to the Aceele Laptop Stand/USB Docking Station, and then use the included USB-C to USB-C cable to connect the dock to the laptop … job done and problem solved!
Once you plug in the j5Create charger, Windows 11 will detect this and on the Zephyrus G14 will then pop-up a “On PD” message.
One thing to be aware of … is that the Turbo profile on ROG Zephyrus G14 is not available on USB-C PD – Power Delivery (the option is greyed-out). This means means the CPU and GPU will not run at their maximum potential. I guess this isn’t a suprise. If you want Turbo mode, you’ll have to use the 180W original charger that came with the laptop.
Verdict and Conclusion
After using the j5Create 108W PD USB-C Charger for more than a week, I’m more than happy to say it does a wonderful job in powering my ROG Zephyrus G14. However, I did notice one thing … it charges the laptop slightly slower than the original charger. I’m assuming it’s got something to do with the spec of the original charger, which has an output of 20V @ 9A (180W) versus the j5Create charger’s 20V @ 5A (100W).
That said, I’m not worried about the speed. It still charges my ROG Zephyrus G14 albeit slower. The main point for me … is that works perfectly when it’s connected up to the Aceele Laptop Stand/USB Docking Station. Now, all I have connected to the laptop is just ONE single USB-C cable. Boom!
- USB-C cable: up to 20V @ 5A (100W)
- USB-C port: up to 5V, 9V, 12V @ 3A (20W)
- USB Type-A: up to 5V @ 2.4A (12W)
- Charges multiple devices simultaneously
- Power Delivery compatible for MacBooks, Dell, HP, Lenovo and ROG Zephyrus G14 (tested)
- Slightly slower charging on ROG Zephyrus G14 (probably due to high power consumption)
You can buy the j5Create 108W PD USB-C Super Charger for around USD $59 from Amazon – https://amzn.to/40XwKOg, which I think is a great bargain.
- ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 Gaming Laptop Review
- Anker Powercore Fusion 10000 2-in-1 Power Bank and Charger Review
- Cougar DH07 Slim 7-Port Docking Hub Review