Specifications and Features
- Start your system in seconds
- Load files almost instantly
- Accelerate your most demanding applications
- Store massive amounts of data with drive capacities up to 2TB
- Be more efficient with Micron® 3D NAND
- Enjoy a cooler, quieter computer and extend laptop battery life using only 100 mW of power
- Keep all your saved work if power is unexpectedly cut with Integrated Power Loss Immunity
- Get a high price-to-performance ratio without needing a financing plan to pay for it
- Protect your data on a drive that’s tried, tested, and proven from start to finish
- Block hackers and thieves with AES 256-bit hardware-based encryption
- Transfer files easily from your old drive with Acronis® True Image™ HD
- Manage and improve your SSD with the Crucial Storage Executive tool
- 5-year limited warranty
Two screenshots are showing SMART read and that our MX500 SSD is in perfect condition.
Crucial Storage Executive software is showing more details about the drive itself. We can also update firmware and set additional options. One of the more interesting options is Momentum Cache so additional caching of our drive. It works on all Crucial drives and uses RAM to speed up already fast storage. On the next page you can see results on enabled Momentum Cache. Difference in performance is really huge.
The Storage Executive couldn’t find new firmware for MX500 SSD. It’s a new product so I guess we have to wait for updates. On the other hand there are no issues with the drive itself but maybe Crucial work on some performance improvements as these are always good.
Now let’s take a look at the product itself.
Package is typical for Crucial SSD. Small box is not much different from what we could see in last MX series. Most things seem almost the same but I’ve noticed one thing which is also mentioned on the user’s benefits list ( above ). The MX500 SSD is covered by 5-year limited warranty. Nearly all previous series had 3-year warranty. If you cover 5 years of problem-free work then you have to be sure about quality of your product.
In the package is everything you need for drive’s installation in a laptop or most modern desktops. If you need 3.5″ mounting kit then it’s also available as separated kit.
The MX500 is clearly next step in improvements that we see for couple of years. Every new Crucial SSD has something more than previous generation and is simply better.
Design of the SSD is also without big changes for years but why change something that is good ? Front label is saying what series is SSD so MX in this case. Back label has all important numbers, voltage requirements, certificate logos and firmware version. Nothing special but also all what we need.
After opening the MX500 SSD we can see a lot of Micron chips. MX500 is based on 256Gb, 64-layer 3D TLC NAND and Silicon Motion SM2258 controller what is something new as previous generations were based on Marvell controllers. Also endurance of current chips is much higher – about 30% higher than that of MX300 SSD so about 360TB of data. There is also power reduction comparing to MX200/300 so at first look not much has changes but when we start to dig into specification then we see that changes are significant.