Today we’ll be showing you how to use the Killer ‘DoubleShot Pro’ feature which can found on most ASRock motherboards that uses the Killer LAN and Killer WiFi 6. Watch our YouTube video here … https://youtu.be/6Dy9p1B5KjM
And to do this … we’ll be using the ASRock Z590 PG Velocita motherboard which comes the latest Killer E3100G (2.5G LAN), as well as their newest AX1675x (WiFi 6E), plus you’ll need a router that can support both of these interfaces.
So what is Killer’s DoubleShot Pro all about?
Well … the Killer DoubleShot Pro feature allows, the use of both the Killer Wireless, and Killer Ethernet interfaces to work at the same time, this gives the users, the maximum throughput of up to 4.9 Gbps
Also, it automatically uses the fastest connection for any network intensive applications, this ensures the highest priority traffic, will always be put on the fastest, and most reliable link.
Killer’s DoubleShot Pro is also being championed by Intel. You can find out more at Intel’s website.
Killer DoubleShot™ Pro (taken from ASRock’s website)
Killer DoubleShot Pro allows the use of both the Killer Wireless and Killer Ethernet interfaces work at the same time which will give the end user max throughput as high as 4.9 Gbps, it automatically utilizes the fastest network connection for high priority traffic, this ensures the highest priority traffic will always be put on the fastest and most reliable link.
Killer DoubleShot™ Pro Benefits:
- Speed: DoubleShot Pro Technology delivers the maximum speed and throughput possible for your computer by allowing your computer to use all of your network adapters at the same time.
- Intelligence: The Killer Prioritization Engine to automatically classify and prioritize high priority traffic like online games, streaming video, and high quality audio to be handled by the systems fastest network interface. This will provide users with a higher quality experience with fewer interruptions.
- Maximum Control: Utilize the Killer Control Center 2.0 to see and manage which network connection your applications are using. Set limits using Visual Bandwidth Control or shut them down completely with application blocking, so they don’t interfere with higher priority apps.
First off … you’ll need a router that can support both the 2.5G LAN and the Wifi 6 (802.11ax). So for our tests, we’ll be using an Asus RT-AX86U wifi 6 gaming router. You can buy this router for around USD $265 from Amazon – https://amzn.to/3c4bbU2
AX5700 Dual Band WiFi 6 Gaming Router, PS5 compatible, Mobile Game Mode, Lifetime Free Internet Security, Mesh WiFi support, 2.5G Port, Gaming Port, Adaptive QoS, Port Forwarding. Find out more on Asus’s website.
In the admin page of the router … make sure you complete the following steps.
- Install the Latest Firmware
- Set Channel Bandwidth to 160MHz
- Enable WiFi 6 / 802.11ax
Once the router is correctly configured … next, we need to set up the Killer Control Center.
We’ll be using the ASRock Z590 PG Velocita motherboard which comes the latest Killer E3100G (2.5G LAN), as well as their newest AX1675x (WiFi 6E). You can buy this motherboard for around USD $205-265 from Amazon – https://amzn.to/2R5pSiF
- Supports 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Processors and 11th Gen Intel® Core™ Processors
- 14 Phase Dr.MOS Power Design
- Supports DDR4 4800MHz (OC)
- 2 x PCIe 4.0 x16, 1 x PCIe 3.0 x16, 1 x PCIe 3.0 x1
- Graphics Output Options: HDMI, DisplayPort
- 7.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec), Nahimic Audio
- 6 SATA3, 1 x Hyper M.2 (PCIe Gen4 x4)
2 x Ultra M.2 (PCIe Gen3 x4 & SATA3)
- 1 x USB 3.2 Gen2x2 Front Type-C (20Gb/s)
Rear USB 3.2 Gen2 Type A+C (10Gb/s)
10 x USB 3.2 Gen1 (6 x Rear, 4 x Front)
- Killer E3100G 2.5G LAN, Intel® Gigabit LAN
- Killer AX1675x 802.11ax(WiFi 6E) + BT 5.2
- CPU Direct Source LAN (Patent Pending)
- Lightning Gaming Ports (Patent Pending)
- ASRock Graphics Card Holder (Patent Pending)
You can check out the full specifications on ASRock’s website.
Configuring the Killer Control Center software
Make sure you have installed the latest Killer Software with DoubleShot Pro capabilities. Then check you’ve got a good network connection on both Killer adapters. You can download the latest Performance Suite from Intel or download it from ASRock’s website.
You can verify that both adapters have a good network connection by viewing the main panel of the Killer Control Center.
Now, to Enable DoubleShot Pro in the Killer Control Center, go to the ‘Settings’ tab. Then change the slider so that DoubleShot Pro is now on.
Next, you want to prioritize your applications. On the Killer Control Center, Priorities 1-5 are set to go through your LAN connection, While Priority 6 is set to utilize your Wi-Fi connection.
These priorities of course can be changed to you liking.
Conclusion and Final Words
After testing the Killer ‘DoubleShot Pro’ … I did notice some improvements, like being able to multi-task more and multiple applications concurrently.
Things like copying and transferring large files, while at the same time streaming several videos on 3 different browers, as well as downloading on Steam and playing my CyberPunk 2077 … all at the same time. In other words, I don’t have to worry about bandwidth usage while running multiple network intensive applications, which is a good thing.
And that my friend is how you use the Killer ‘DoubleShot Pro’ enabling you to use of both the Killer Wireless, and Killer Ethernet interfaces to work at the same time.
So inclusion, the Killer DoubleShot Pro is a unique and nice feature to have that allow users to use both Killer 2.5G LAN and Killer Wifi 6 and at the same time.
- ASRock Radeon RX 6700 XT Phantom Gaming D Graphics Card Review
- ASRock Z590 Extreme Motherboard Review
- ASRock B550 TAICHI – RAZER EDITION Motherboard Review
- ASRock B560 Steel Legend Motherboard Review
- ASRock X570 TAICHI – RAZER EDITION Motherboard Review
- ASRock B550 Extreme4 Motherboard Review
- ASRock Radeon RX 5500 XT Phantom Gaming D 8G OC Review
- ASRock Radeon RX 590 8G OC Graphics Card (8GB GDDR5) Review