MSI MPG A1000G Power Supply Review

Conclusion and Verdict

I would not recommend running this power supply like I did for the testing. I was using one PCI-e cable on each card, when it is recommended to use one cable per connector. But hey, its testing so let’s see what happens right? I didn’t notice any cables getting hot or any crashes, so this power supply was working quite well. As you can see, I was pulling 583 watts while I loaded the system with everything it had. It’s very hard to state whether a power supply will be viable when it’s so close to a new release of graphics cards. And if you have been following that, you know there may be some serious power requirements for those cards. So, me saying this power supply may serve you well, well into the future, may be an inaccurate statement. But as you can see from the testing, I just put it through, it performed pretty well. The silent fan feature will indeed keep your system noise to a minimum. Most power supplies I have had in the past have not been an issue when it comes to fan noise. I like that they included a switch so I could run the fan 24/7 if I chose to you. Not against a quite operation but I think it’s a huge mistake not to include an override to run the fan 24/7. Thankfully MSI has this feature, and I couldn’t be happier. There are two components I try and keep as cool as I can. The CPU and PSU. It’s proven the cooler these components run the more efficient they are.

The inside parts appeared to be high quality capacitators. These are crucial to having a healthy supply of power. This power supply looked to be built pretty solid.  This power supply features a single rail, no need to worry about balancing your power from separate sources inside the PSU. Lastly, the modular cables and compact design, make this an idea choice for build.

Efficiency Requirements for 80Plus Certification

A higher wattage doesn’t necessarily mean you are getting a better power supply. So be careful if you aren’t getting one from a reputable brand. Also, if you go Gold or even higher Platinum you are getting a very efficient power supply. You can think of it in this way, an 80 Plus Gold power supply provides 90 percent of its rated wattage as power and loses the other 10 percent as heat.

I can’t tell you how many times I have been saved by a good power supply. I work with an open test bench and am always unplugging and plugging stuff in while my system is on. Having a capable Current protection can be big a sigh of relief. And this power supply has you cover with OVP, OPP, SCP, OCP, UVP, OTP protections. This can be a life saver, if you plug something in wrong!

Now for the big question will this power supply power the new cards? Yes, the power supply meets the requirements for the most power hungry cards and everything below. For the 3090Ti and the RX 6950 XT, you will need a minimum of 850W and 2 PCIe 8 pin connectors. This power supply offers the 1000W and has a total of 3 – 8 pin connectors. So, rest assured this power supply will work with the flagship cards from Nvidia and AMD.

One thing and the most important thing to remember when swapping out power supplies, IS NEVER REUSE CABLES FROM ANOTHER POWER SUPPLY! I would even caution this idea if its the same brand. I learned this the hard way in my past learning because I didn’t want to re-cable a case and come to find out some power supplies connectors vary brand to brand. Here is good explanation of what I am saying. Luckily when I did this I only lost some lights because the power supply was semi modular and that probably saved my mother board and CPU. Anyways take the time and use the cables that come with your power supply at all times!

 

You can buy the MSI MPG A1000G Power Supply for around USD $154.99 from Amazon – https://amzn.to/3bxoiQC

Pros:

  • Price
  • Zero Fan with a switch
  • Fully Modular
  • Single Rail
  • 10 Year Warranty

Cons:

  • None

 

Final Thoughts:

The MSI MPG A1000G Power Supply is well priced for the high quality and stable power supply. If you are in the need of a higher-powered PSU, then give this one a try!

 

 

Related articles

 

Latest Headlines

About Chris 738 Articles
Chris has been a long time enthusiasts of anything computer related. He is a 2010 Graduate with a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science. His expertise ranges from simple coding to systems analysis. He has always enjoyed exploring the vast world of computer hardware and now gets to share that passion with all funky followers!